Thursday, January 08, 2004

8/11/2006; 2:33:24 AM


RSS ... the alternative to e-mail ...
I really like the essay that Adam has written about using RSS as an alternative to the existing protocols used by traditional e-mail. In the "essay" link below, Adam outlines many of the advantages and ways that this could become a much more effective medium for communication when compared to e-mail.



The one area that I have to disagree a little - or at least have my own ideas - is when it comes to managing the "publish-subscribe" relationship creation. He indicates a variety of ways to encrypt the content, however after doing a lot of work in the past on digital identity, I have to think that there are some ways that I like the "username/password" schemes much better.



In my own thoughts, I believe there is a space for the creation of a new "personal introduction" protocol for the creation of digital relationships. This protocol - and I'm only beginning to think through how this would work - would automate the management of identity information, and the exchange of the necessary information to create the relationship.



I have to agree with Adam, that once such a relationship has been created between two people (or entities) then the ability to terminate the relationship becomes much easier. The entire process becomes a "pull" of information that I am interested in ... instead of being spammed with information that I do not want!

email dying - rss alternatives. Steve Outing [via sn]: "Any e-mail publisher with a survival instinct should be publishing RSS feeds of the content that it currently e-mails." Nomention of my essay, so here's the link again. [Adam Curry: Adam Curry's Weblog]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home