Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What is up with Firefox Updates?


For the last while, I have been aware of the Firefox v2.x release. What has really surprised me is that the Firefox Update check has never told me to go and get it!

Just today ... for the last time . .. I launched Firefox, and then went to the "Help -> Check for Updates ..." menu. The dialog that appeared stated "No Updates Found. There are no new updates available. Firefox may check periodically for new updates." What? No notice at all that there is a whole new generation of the browser?

As a general marketing rule, it seems to me that you always make sure to let the customer know about products that you want them to use! I can't believe that Firefox would not tell me that v2.x is now out there and available to download.

P.S. If people want to tell me about the difference between an Upgrade and an Update ... or that v1.5.x is a different product from v2.0.x ... I don't want to hear it. This is all about marketing and getting the word out. For the general population that doesn't follow the tech news, Firefox would benefit the most from making these blatant announcements!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home